Sexual Assault Prevention: Staying Safe When Going Out on Halloween

It’s the holiday season, with Halloween being the first one to come around, and that means costume party season. A peak of sexual assault cases rises during Halloween on college campuses, and you need to remember when going out to stay safe! According to RAINN, more students are at a higher risk during the first months of the fall semester rather than the spring. That does not mean don’t have fun, have all the fun you want, just make sure to protect yourself and your friends.

Here are some things to remember to help you and your friends stay safe when going out : 

Remember

1. Never leave a drink unattended or accept one from someone you don’t know.
  2. Date rape drugs are easily be added to any beverage. They are categorized as prescription, often illegal drugs that produce various effects on the body, most often sedative or depressing, and are often used in rape crimes. They are odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Common date rape drugs include Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate (GHB), Rohypnol, MDMA (Ecstasy), and Ketamine.
  3. Check in with your friends when out or at a party, and make sure everyone leaves together. 
  4. Don’t go to a secluded place with someone you’ve just met or don’t know well. 
  5. Meet or stay in public places. 
  6. Don’t go with strangers to any apartment or other secluded location. 
  7. Don’t invite them to your home if you are just getting acquainted. 
  8. Walk in a group or with a friend you know well, especially after late-night classes.
  9. Be alert and aware of your surroundings, both inside buildings and on the street. 
  10. If you ever feel unsafe or uncomfortable, get to an occupied store or an area where there are people. 
  11. Use elevators, stairs, and restrooms in well-trafficked areas. 
  12. Avoid deserted areas, parking lots, laundry rooms, and other poorly lit locations. 
  13. Keep apartment doors and windows locked; close your shades or blinds at night. 
  14. Always know where to go for help

Marymount wants to ensure every student’s safety, and if you need help, there are resources you can go to when faced with sexual violence and harassment.

Marymount Manhattan College (the College) is firmly committed to learning, living, and working environments that are welcoming, respectful and inclusive. To that end, the College prohibits sexual misconduct, which includes sex discrimination, gender harassment, sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, and dating or domestic violence, as defined below.  This policy applies to all members of the College campus community, including faculty, staff and students, as well as visitors, vendors, and contractors”.