The Student News Site of Marymount Manhattan College

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Monitor

In Transit: MMC’s First Acapella Musical

This past week, Marymount Manhattan College put on a production of the acapella musical In Transit. The musical focuses on the everyday experiences of New Yorkers going from place to place on public transit. It shows their lives, and how they unintentionally intertwine on the subway. The musical primarily follows five characters: Jane (Emma Carlile), Ali (Katie Michelle Stahl), Trent (Andres Reyes), Steven (Alexander Burnett), and Nate (Andrew Darling). Jane is an aspiring actress working a survival job who is up for a life-changing role, Ali is a young woman trying to get over her ex by running, Trent and Steven are a gay couple who are in the midst of planning their wedding, though Trent is struggling to come out to his conservative mother (Kayla Platania), and Nate is a young man struggling to find a job after he was fired for telling off his boss over email. Throughout the show, these characters interact in different ways as their storylines intersect. All these characters at some point meet the mysterious Boxman (Ellistaire Perry), who serves as the narrator of the story and provides them with wisdom and advice. He helps them to find their path, as well as showcasing some impressive beatboxing skills.

The show itself was very well done, though it could be hard to hear some of the soloists at times, due to a lack of microphones. Considering this hurdle, the cast still did an admirable job. It was clear to everyone in the very full audience that the performers on stage were having the time of their lives, and it was reflected in the audience’s response. People were cheering, clapping, and even dancing along at times. Jassir Rivera said, “Seen it twice, can’t wait to see it again!” Also in attendance at this performance were some of the writers for the show, as well as Annaleigh Ashford, MMC alum and Broadway star who came to the show accompanied by her two young boys. They all seemed to enjoy the show as well. 

Overall this was a very fun show, and a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Congratulations to both the cast and crew of this incredible production!