The Student News Site of Marymount Manhattan College

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Monitor

MMC Students Attend CSW 68 At the United Nations

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The UN Commission on The Status of Women (CSW68) is a legislative committee of the United Nations Economic and Social Council that is committed to gender equality and empowerment of women. This year, the conference lasted from 11 March 2024 to 22 March 2024 and was held at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. 

Ten Students from the Politics and Human Rights Department (PHR) of MMC were selected to represent various Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) at the UN Commission On The Status Of Women (CSW68). This Internship program was conducted under the supervision of Professor Alexandria Panzarelli, the MMC Alumni Ms. Sharon Letalon, and Professor Jennifer Mueller of Marymount Manhattan College. The students participated in conferences and discussions with UK Parliamentarians, entrepreneurs, and NGOs on different matters pertaining to gender equality.

One of the students who attended the CSW68, Joselyn Logan, 18 said to The Monitor “Interning at the UN Conference on the Status of Women was an invaluable experience that transcended mere professional development. Being surrounded by women from diverse backgrounds, all driven by a shared passion for gender equality, was greatly inspiring and empowering. Witnessing the collective determination to effect change in policies and practices left an indelible mark, fueling my commitment to advocate for women’s rights.”

During the course of this internship program, the students attended various events, met accomplished women from all walks of life, and engaged in thought-provoking conversations on women’s empowerment. They had collected the UN ground passes on 8 March 2024 from the ID Office which permitted their access to the events of CSW 68. It was an empowering and promising adventure for the young advocates and changemakers of MMC to have their voices heard at the CSW this year !!