The Student News Site of Marymount Manhattan College

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Monitor

A Guide to the Infamous Parisian Street Markets

New Yorkers and Parisians: people who share interests in fashion, art, culture, and, most of all, antique and vintage finds in these departments for a fair price. Where can these items be found? Parisian street markets: where brooches, watches, paintings, jackets, scarves, keychains, and magazines line busy corners all for under 20 Euros without bargaining. It’s only fitting that when New Yorkers visit Paris, they also visit the many vendors selling their personal antiques and garb, bringing home a one-of-a-kind bag of trinkets and attire reborn. 

These markets can seem intimidating for a foreigner who doesn’t know a lick of French. Hidden away in the endless arrondissements and shopping avenues, they’re impossible to scout out alone. This is a guide to where to find the markets, what knowledge you will need to pursue them with ease, what most will offer, and how to bargain for the Parisian price—NOT the American one. 

Currency 

Before going to any markets, you must get some Euros to sustain you throughout the day, as it can be tricky to find an ATM. Pro tip: most vendors do NOT have a card reader, so don’t expect one, and don’t bother mentioning Venmo or Cash App. Also, bring a small bag to place your items in, as most vendors do not have bags or don’t prefer to give the few they have to tourists. 

Most small trinket items should cost 5-10 Euros. As for jewelry and clothing, prices can climb to 15-45 Euros. Nothing quite exceeds this unless you’re looking to buy a luxe fur or authentic gold watch, which should cost 100-200 Euros. There are of course different prices for luxury and designer items as well. 

Language

Show respect and learn basic French, as some vendors don’t speak English. Why should they? Knowing these basic terms will come in handy for the entirety of your trip to show politeness. 

• Bonjour – Hello (Hopefully a no-brainer.) 

• Au Revoir – Goodbye 

• S’il vous plait – Please

• Oui – Yes

• Merci – Thank you

• Parlez-vous Anglais? – Do you speak English?

• Je ne parle pas Francais – I do not speak French

Bargaining 

It’s true that vendors will always try to get top prices first, and most are open to bending and shifting prices for a bargain. Even if you don’t speak French, the way to bargain is with a smile and never at a disrespectfully low price point. If one price is said first, simply say another after. Try 5-8 Euros lower unless 10 seems acceptable. Always be kind, and the vendor will be more receptive. Sometimes, pulling out the exact amount is the most convincing.  

Locating

Various markets are going on different days, all with different hours. 

Some are only on the weekends, and others are daily, excluding Sundays and holidays. It’s always best to arrive early in the morning (8 am and after) at whichever markets you prefer, as most close up at around 4-6 pm. It’s also important to note that weather plays a part in these markets, and they cannot survive in a powerful rainstorm, so choose a nice day. 

TikTok is a great resource for any Paris recommendation: dinner, shopping, and vintage markets.

@Alicjakissaa has named herself your “Vintage Bestie in Paris,” with over 43.7k followers. She visits every market and alerts her followers of what will be happening each weekend or weekday, with locations and hours according to their arrondissement.

Some Alicja has listed for this week by arrondissement:

• 1st: Les Halles canopee, Allee Andre Breton, small, professional (7am-6pm)
    • 5th: Marche Monge, Place Monge (7am-6pm)

• 9th: Rue de la Chaussee d’Antin (7am-7pm) 
  • 13th: Boulevard Auguste Blanqui, Place d’Italie, professional (7am-7pm) 

Visit her page on your visit to see which markets will be open during your stay. 

Offerings 

More photos of some of the endless items you can expect to see at these markets: