The Student News Site of Marymount Manhattan College

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Job Search Struggle in College

Most of us are familiar with the act of Scrolling through Linkedin, Indeed, Glassdoor, and Ziprecruiter, as job after job flashes before our eyes. Easy apply, one click apply, upload resume, cover letter optional, it seems as though there is an endless sea, yet no replies pop up in your inbox. This becomes an endless cycle of stress, confusion, and disappointment for any student in college who wants a part time job or internship. The experience seems to be universal in these times, let’s figure out some ways around it.

Linkedin career expert for college kids, Beth Hendler-Grunt, projects the job outlook for the class of 2024, although it may seem startling, she provides tips and loopholes to land the interview, and finally, the position. The National Association of Colleges and Employers projects a 1.9% dip in new hires for this year’s grads. This is because of companies consolidating, a higher rate of applicants, and certain skills employers feel college students may be lacking in either in undergrad or post grad. With all that now swirling in the brains of students and employers, this is how applicants can stand out and beat the odds.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that this year; 353,000 jobs were added to the economy in January, beating last year’s average. With that being said, here’s what the employers want to see in a resume or Linkedin profile. The focus has switched from GPA to personal qualities and hands on skills that will be used in the job. Problem solving and teamwork skills are critical to develop in your education, and a good thing to have on a resume or in a cover letter to make you stand out. 

Something that has to be realized is that the job market is always going to be changing. As seen in 2020, there is simply no way to know what’s going to happen. Being prepared to process the flow of change and thrive in the moment is a trait that comes with work behind the scenes. Differentiate yourself from other candidates in your industry. In a cover letter, this is the perfect opportunity to do so. Ask yourself,  what makes you the right person for the position that is unique to only you? Don’t shy away from the strategic placement of that in your application. Something that will make any candidate stand out is also a follow up email. If you applied online through either the companies website or a job site, it is a good idea to send an email to the recruiter, or connect with them on Linkedin. After an interview as well, sending a quick thank you can go a long way. 

The resume and cover letter are important tools to have with you when applying for a part time job, internship, or full time position after graduation. The Office of Career and Professional Development at Marymount Manhattan College provides resume workshops and the opportunity to meet with a staff member to get your job search journey off to the races. They have resources for off and on campus internships as well as workshops for professional communication, setting up your Linkedin, and leadership summits. The help you need is within MMC’s own walls. Taking charge of your future and starting off strong is going to give you an upper hand in the beginning of your journey. Make the initiative and find success with your passions and talents.