The Student News Site of Marymount Manhattan College

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Underdog Cabaret: One MMC Student’s Directorial Debut

Are you sick of hearing the same songs from the same shows? I mean, there’s only so many times you can sit through When He Sees Me? Well no more! Join us at The Green Room 42 on April 27th for a cabaret where the songs are fresh and exciting. Together we are going to finally give some incredibly underrated songs the limelight they deserve. With all NYC-based performers, this is sure to be a night to remember!

Gigi Rita LeClair grew up in Westchester, New York, and is now living in New York City. Although performing is where LeClair first found her love for the arts, she has expanded her interests to all parts of production. Working in NYC as everything from a director to a songwriter to a marketing manager, LeClair strives to create collaborative and unique performing experiences that harmonize talent from all over. Just because LeClair has shifted more towards production, she is still recognized for her performances. Most recently being nominated as “Best Overall Performance in a female-identifying role in a musical” from the Metro Awards in 2023. When LeClair is not working on a show, she is playing music, writing songs, and finding leadership around NYC. When coming up with the idea for this show, LeClair was frustrated by the lack of opportunity for non-musical Theater majors to sing, so decided to produce her own show. Through lots of hard work, dedication, and a passion for her work, she was able to create this incredible show in just a few weeks.  

THE GREEN ROOM 42 – founded in 2017, and located in the heart of the theatre district in Yotel Times Square – is Broadway’s newest and most spacious cabaret club. Hailed by the New York Times as “Broadway’s Off-Night Hotspot” and praised by Time Out New York for “Best Cabaret Show 2023” (Mamie Parris in Surrender: An Andrew Lloyd Webber Thrill Ride), our curated nightlife experience features your favorite Broadway stars in live performance, and a delicious menu of food and drink. The Green Room 42 opens the doors of hospitality to the nightclub stage while providing value and accessibility to the New York theatre community. Past shows have featured artists such as Josh Groban, Tina Fey, Katharine McPhee, Sara Bareilles, Kathleen Turner, Candace Bushnell, Alice Ripley, Eva Noblezada, Reeve Carney, Lillias White, Frances Ruffelle, Judy Kuhn, Melissa Errico, Sally Mayes, Frankie Grande, Lady Bunny, Mink Stole, Ginger Minj, David Phelps, and over 5,000 others. The Green Room 42 has become a cornerstone of the Broadway community, redefining the cabaret industry, and all it’s missing is YOU. Sit back, have a drink, and relax, because we’ve got your evening all planned in Broadway’s off-night hotspot.

Tickets are available between $21 and $50, with no food or beverage minimum. Tickets and more information are available here.