The Student News Site of Marymount Manhattan College

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Monitor

2024-2025 Core Council Applications are Live!

Are you interested in becoming a student leader at MMC? Now’s your chance! The 2024-2025 core council applications for the Student Government Association (SGA), Campus Activities Board (CAB), and Black and Latinx Student Association (BLSA) are live on MMC Engage until Friday, April 5, 2024, at 4:55 p.m. 

The SGA serves as the main governing body for student concerns and representation. Made by the students for the students! The current president of SGA, Kylee Simpson, says her favorite part of being in SGA is “Getting to be a part of community building and creating a safer and more comfortable space for all students.” 

If eligible, (specific qualifications can be found on MMC Engage) any student can currently run for the following positions in SGA: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. As well as the following Senator positions for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Commuter Student Life, Residential Student Life, Transfer Student Life, Food and Health, Campus Safety, Senior Issues, Service and Sustainability, International Students, Media and Technology, and Student Life. 

The CAB is responsible for enhancing student life through the planning and organization of various events on and off campus. The current Vice President of CAB, Alex Richter, says his favorite part of being in CAB is “getting to see my thoughts and ideas spread joy throughout the community.” 

If eligible, (specific qualifications can be found on MMC Engage) any student can currently run for the following positions in CAB: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Special & Annual Events Chair, and Diversity & Multiculturalism Events Chair. 

The BLSA is the core council dedicated to supporting and celebrating students of color at MMC. The current Treasurer of BLSA, Christina Newland, says her favorite part of being in BLSA is “being in a place where I feel supported and empowered. It’s like a second home where we share our cultures, dreams, and achievements in a personal and uplifting way. I feel understood and supported here.” 

If eligible, (specific qualifications can be found on MMC Engage) any student can currently run for the following positions in BLSA: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. 

Though the application deadline is Friday, April 5, 2024, at 4:55 p.m., the live elections are scheduled for April 16, 2024, to April 17, 2024, from 9:00 am to 4:55 pm. In which the student body will have the opportunity to vote for the student they wish to fill the council positions.