The Student News Site of Marymount Manhattan College

The Monitor

The Monitor

The Monitor

Fitness Resolutions in the New Year

2024, a new year with new expectations and new pressures we put on ourselves. I, as probably many, can recall what was asked the most in the weeks leading up to the new year… What are your resolutions? Ah yes, because of course there can’t be a new year unless you want to change something about yourself. Obviously that is sarcastic, but nonetheless new years resolutions are something that society practices. It seems as though no matter where I turn I seem to run into “resolutioners” and the one I see the most are those ready to set new fitness goals.

Simply put, I see the fitness resolutioners the most because I work at a barre studio. Throughout the year there is a pretty stable influx of new clients and those who are starting their fitness journey. I would say the busiest times other than New Years for joining the fitness regime are the beginning of summer and the start of fall. Other than that I tend to see the same faces throughout the weeks. There seems to be a sort of joke in the “gym community” that the gyms will fill up in January and then be deserted by the newcomers come February. This joke is irrelevant because the fitness resolution is much deeper than showing up at the gym.

Other than the new members in these studios, the main two ways these resolutions were started was either a 75 strong challenge which encourages people to stick to a strict routine for 75 days, or dry January where people commit to be sober for the month. These two resolutions potentially could be more life changing health wise than just committing to the gym. There were hundreds of posts and videos on Instagram and Tik Tok of people picking up these resolutions this past month. The easiest way to commit to your health is to commit to yourself.

Although any way you choose to treat your health is entirely valid, these ideas were just what seems to be the fitness resolutions of the year. As well as don’t feel like you had to have a resolution. The year is so long, you could  try something new in September or such. No need to put pressure on becoming a different person so soon into the year,  but wishing the best of luck to those who are choosing to commit to something new in 2024.